Monday, November 2, 2015

My Proposed Public Argument

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/A_course_of_green_cefalexin_pills.jpg/1280px-A_course_of_green_cefalexin_pills.jpg

     I have no idea what I want to make my public argument about. I was thinking I would discuss the effects of overuse of antibiotics in medicine and agriculture, or the positive effects of Genetically Modified Organisms. I want to write either a scientific journal, or a TED Talk, as they both sound interesting.
     If I were to discuss the use of the abuse of antibiotics, I would probably lean towards a TED Talk. My message would be along the lines of "Antibiotic abuse is on the rise in America, and is having a negative effect on the food we eat, our bodies on a macroscopic and microscopic level, and the pathogens that we are trying to fight off". The message here is that we are abusing antibiotics, and nature is doing its best to adapt. Puberty is occurring earlier in children, because they are being exposed to growth hormones. Another effect is the depletion of good bacteria in our microbiome, leading to dangerous effects. Finally, I would talk about how bacteria are adapting to fight back, and nullify the effects of all antibiotics, (like methycillin resistant Staph and such). I feel like the audience for this talk would be Americans who consume antibiotics, either to fight off infection or unintentionally through their food. The purpose would be to inform the audience about what is occurring in nature, in their bodies, and emphasize the urgency of the situation.
     If I discuss the positive effects of GMO's, I would write a scientific journal entry. I would target how the use of GMO's has saved some plant species, how GMO's are not the cause for stress in the US, rather its the chemicals present in our food that is a cause for concern, and how GMO's could save lives in other countries, if we were less skeptical about science. This article would be aimed at skeptics in the scientific community, and skeptics who know/read the scientific journal I would be writing for. The purpose of this would be to persuade an audience that not everything we read is true or false, it requires its own interpretation of the truth to draw their own conclusions, only after being presented with both sides. I could always use the TED Talk as well, but I feel I need more information to write a 10-15 minute talk about GMO's.

No comments:

Post a Comment