Sunday, November 1, 2015

Reflection on Essay #2

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/NICO_looks_at_himself.jpg
     
Essay number two is finally done. Its crazy to think that we are halfway through our freshman semester, and that there is only a few more months until finals. From this writing process, I have learned a lot about myself. First, I generalize my statements too mach, and talk in the first person. I need to work on making clear concise statements to an audience bigger than just myself. I tried to accomplish this as much as possible, but did not get everything cleaned up as much as I want it to.
     I would say my essay is more successful then my last paper. I focused more on the topic and had a more concise thesis statement then last essay, and found more information to back up what I was saying. I also found in this essay, I actually knew what rhetoric I was supposed to address, rather then rambling on with facts and pointless information. If I could have done anything differently, it would have been finishing my rough draft prior to Friday's class. Maybe I can chunk out 15-20 minutes of my time each day as opposed to cramming one night, to really help myself feel more confident about my writing.
     Throughout writing this essay, I learned that rhetoric and rhetorical analysis are important in persuading and audience to listen to you. Even if its in their best interest to listen to what you have to say, not all people listen to speakers. Many people are discredited, even if they have valid information. Its in the way they author/director/blogger/company addresses a person addresses their audience that success can be achieved. I could apply this to any of my other classes. In my gen ed class, we read pieces of published literature from scientific sources throughout the environmental and sustainability community.
     The lessons I've learned about rhetoric and rhetorical analysis will be useful in writing my senior year, and writing for grants and scientific journals. For instance, when applying for a research grant, you must know the SOAPSTone of the group you are writing to. If you want money to fund a project on a new cancer drug, you probably do not want to apply for a holistic research grant. Also, if you are writing and trying to convince a group of scientists that your research is accurate and justifiable, you would say so. You would use a persuasive and serious tone, and direct your paper at a specific group of individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment