Saturday, October 10, 2015

Revise and Reflect on Bloomberg's Essay

     I learned a lot from outlining Bloomberg's essay. I learned how to look analytically at a topic, rather than look for the ideas, context and just summarizing what happened. I also learned that it is difficult to recreate a paragraph when you don't have all the information to go off of. I ended up writing a completely different paragraph then the Bloomberg's essay. I also learned through outlining and recreating this paragraph that it is hard to capture the why without having the topic sentence from the paragraph. I had information about what and who this paragraph was about, but the why rhetoric was missing. Thankfully, I get a chance to improve my paragraph and show I have learned something through this exercise.
     Redraft of Bloomberg:
     Lauren Greenfield utilizes the male view as both a vehicle for 'objectification' of women and as a background for the success of these women. For example, in one image we see a tall blonde women walking through the streets of New York. She constantly fights off the men cat calling towards her. Another image shows us men at a toga party reading some risque magazines. Though there are not real women here, the women in the magazines are being objectified. In both of these situations, women are not directly being attacked, rather their integrity is being questioned. Lauren Greenfield's photos allow for us to get a feeling for not only how those women are treated, but a view on why girls act a certain way. If they are only exposed to a sexually charged male atmosphere, than it explains why girls grow up to have body image and other issues in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment